New to the massage therapy industry? Here are the answers to the questions you’re too afraid to ask:

Do I need qualifications to practice as a massage therapist?

Yes. Without a nationally recognised qualification such as a Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) you may be excluded from joining industry associations and be ineligible for the insurance you’ll need as a practice massage therapist.  

What qualification should I choose?

The Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) and the Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy (22248VIC) are the two major nationally recognised courses that are relevant the massage therapy industry.

Do I need insurance to work as a massage therapist?

Yes. You’ll need liability insurance, which is available at discounted rates through most industry associations. You’ll also need a minimum Diploma qualification to qualify.

Can I provide healthcare rebates to my clients?

Yes, you will have recognition with most private health insurance companies and government agencies when you graduate with the nationally recognised Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) from an accredited training organisation such as MIMT.  

How difficult is it to get a job in massage therapy?

Massage therapy is a rapidly growing industry. Long-term employment in the industry has grown by 62.3 per cent over the last 10 years and will employ around 20,000 people across Australia by 2019.

How many hours do I have to work?

More than one third of massage therapists work full-time – or an average of 45.6 hours per week. However most massage therapists are employed on a part-time basis with flexible hours.

How much will I get paid?

Pay rates depend on your education level, industry sector and employer, but average salaries are between $49,300 and $52,100.

Can I get financial assistance to help pay for my studies?

There are various levels of government support available subject to meeting eligibility. Contact us for further information.