Nationally recognised training in remedial massage
If you are looking to gain a Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) in Melbourne, we can provide you with the qualification to become a professional nationally recognised massage therapist.
We will give you the opportunity to gain all the skills required to work as a Remedial Therapist.
You will learn practical massage skills as well as human anatomy, pathology, plus practice management subjects in business & marketing.
You will also learn clinical assessment techniques and a wide range of remedial treatments including Myofascial Release, Cupping, and Remedial Sports massage -just to name a few.
This diploma will give you the qualification you require to meet the expectations of today’s consumers and the expertise to provide your clients with the most complete service.
Increasingly aspiring massage professionals are taking this course to move themselves to a whole new level of expertise, gaining the knowledge and skills they need to provide a full range of Massage Therapy to today’s clients in multi-disciplinary situations, and open new doors in practice support.
Particularly important is the fact that our Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) in Melbourne is recognised by several Government agencies and most private health insurance companies giving you access to another lucrative market.
NB: Our remedial massage course in Melbourne is one of only a few colleges whose course meets the requirements for Medibank Provider numbers.
What is remedial massage?
Remedial massage is a structured assessment and treatment of the a patient’s muscles, ligaments, tendons, and connective tissues in order to assist in their rehabilitation and injury management. This type of massage therapy is performed to promote positive conditions for the body to return to normal health after sustaining injury.
MIMT is a Registered Training Organisation with the Australian Skills & Qualifications Authority. TOID21906
This course is Nationally Recognised (Course code HLT52015).
This course is recognised by various professional associations including Massage & Myotherapy Australia (M&MA),Association of Massage Therapists (AMT) & Massage Association Australia (MAA).
For more information
“Currently MIMT students help first team players prepare for games and training on a daily basis. The feedback we get from the players, which are the most important people at the club, is that MIMT students are fantastic, they have a willingness to learn and they fit in well with our team.
They also get to come into the physio room and see how we do things and they get a big experience from that.”
George creates a great learning environment. Another fantastic method to use in the clinic.
The way the course was run was exceptional. Very well organized and professionally run.
All the trainers were committed to the students achieving their best results
Really liked the course structure, and the ability to practice everything taught
Fantastic, well structured, enjoyable and encouraging
The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau. The school was great, the teachers were AWESOME, the students were Fantastic!
What the diploma does for you
The principal aim of the Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) is towards developing your skills in all areas so you can serve your clients as a Remedial Massage Therapist and work in an integrated way with other health professionals. It will give you added work experience and qualifications that will increase the amount of patients you will be able to treat.
You will study the health sciences like Regional Anatomy, Clinical Anatomy, Anatomical Kinesiology and Physiology, giving you a greater understanding of the functional basis of clients’ problems and enable you to communicate better with other health professionals. Meaning you are more likely to receive referrals from other health professionals.
Assessment And Treatment Approach
Your classes in the Remedial Massage course focus on Clinical Assessment, Remedial Treatment techniques and Clinical Practice. Elective subjects, Assignments and Workbooks are designed to improve your ability to work with referring practitioners, particularly in relation to assessing clients, preparing and carrying out integrated treatment plans, and monitoring and reporting progress.
Remedial Massage Studies
A range of core and elective subjects gives you the opportunity to develop your massage skills at a higher level, particularly in relation to remedial techniques to alleviate pain and restore function. Wider experience and capabilities will again offer you a greater earning potential when you graduate.
Our Diploma of Remedial Massage course in Melbourne will be completed at the Heidelberg campus, just outside the city CBD and may be taken either full time or part- time which includes some weekends spread throughout the year.
We believe in creating the most highly skilled and marketable massage therapists. Opportunities exist to gain experience at football clubs, Corporate Experience and Clinical Experience, gives you a significant head start when you graduate.
Graduates of the Diploma course may proceed to:
» The Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy (22316VIC)
In addition, Diploma graduates commonly undertake continuing study in non-award short courses, workshops and seminars to maintain and develop their knowledge and skills.
To complete your Diploma of Remedial Massage in Melbourne, call us now for information 1300 839 839.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply
MIMT reserves the right to: amend or change any of its prices, courses, terms, conditions and policies; Accept, reject or defer any application or student: Reschedule courses for whatever reason. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Upcoming Course Dates
HEIDELBERG & MOORABBIN
Part time available on the Diploma Upgrade course at both campuses. Speak to our Course Advisors regards this option.
Enrolments now being taken, please contact the office on 1300 839 839 to book your place
DIPLOMA SUBJECT DESCRIPTIONS
Health Science Subjects:
• An understanding of the basic general structure of the human body at both microscopic and gross level • The ability to describe regions of the body using elementary anatomical terms
• A recognition of the roles of bones, joints and muscles in relation to human movement
• Motivation for further learning in the fi elds of anatomy and kinesiology (human movement)
• The knowledge and skill required to relate theoretical anatomy of bones, muscles and joints to clinical massage work and thus to recognise all structures palpated during massage
Systemic Anatomy & Physiology
• An understanding of the physiological capabilities and contribution of each of the body systems and the organisation and anatomical structures pertaining to each of those systems
• Enable students to relate aspects of physiology to the practice of remedial massage and to the maintenance of health and wellbeing
• An understanding of common injuries, conditions and of the role of massage in support of the healing process including an awareness of contra-indications and cautions applicable to this therapy
• Provides a more detailed knowledge of the body pertaining to movement and support
• Gives students a more detailed understanding of the way in which body parts are designed for movement and the way movement is accomplished and controlled
• Postural analysis
Massage Theory & Practice / Business Development
• Both subjects aim to give an overview of personal, industry and business aspects that need to be considered when entering the massage industry
Massage & Massage Principles
• The skills necessary to give a competent therapeutic massage of the front and back of the body
• Versatility in being able to apply these skills in non-clinical situations e.g home, travel or the workplace
• An awareness of common conditions for which massage is contraindicated or where particular precautions should be observed
• Habits of effi cient posture to prevent occupational strain or injury
• The ability to combine the learning acquired in this module to provide a competent whole body massage
• Provides students with specific techniques in a particular sequence aimed at moving lymphatic fl uid through the body
Massage Assessment & Treatment
• Apply skills acquired in Massage and Massage Principles in a clinical setting
• Demonstrate ability to adapt massage techniques to the needs of individual clients
• Apply principles of effective massage therapy in preventative work and in the alleviation of common conditions
• Develop in students the ability to perform a physical assessment appropriate for patients presenting for remedial massage. This subject looks at making a different diagnosis of soft tissue dysfunction
• Apply basic and advanced taping techniques
• This subject develops the skills necessary to provide competent massage to facilitate sports performance, promote recovery and assist in the prevention and management of sports injuries
Remedial Clinical Practice:
• Develops a professional assessment and skill set to provide a comprehensive treatment protocol in clinical practice. Remedial techniques include:
Introduces the student to the principles and techniques available for static and PNF stretching to better enhance massage treatments.
Trigger Point Therapy
Enables the student to understand and carry out an effective treatment for myofascial trigger point/referred pain.
The use of vacuum cups to improve muscle integrity.
Myofascial Tension Technique
Covers the physiology of connective tissue fascia and teaches techniques to release tissue restrictions throughout the entire body.
• Provides the student with skills in regard to, clinical practice, professional ethics, referrals, record keeping and report writing
Remedial Massage Therapists can work in:
• Private Practice
• Multi-disciplinary Clinics
• Allied health
• Elite Sporting Teams
Skills First Funding (formerly Victorian Training Guarantee, Government subsidised funding) also available for this course* Eligibility criteria apply. Please click here for further details.
VET Student Loans (available for this course*)
VET Student Loans is an Australian Government loan scheme. *Eligibility criteria apply Click here for further details
Study Loans is a new kind of finance for students seeking assistance in paying for their education.
They are Australia’s first dedicated private student loan company in the vocational and tertiary sectors and work with a select number of education providers which includes MIMT.
Click on the logo for further details
MIMT Payment Plans
MIMT also offers payment plans. Please speak to our Course Advisors regards this option.
For a full schedule of fees, please click here
There are no entry requirements and you can enter directly into the Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015). Some students however, choose to complete the Certificate IV in Massage (HLT42015) first if they’re unsure and then have the option to upgrade (on completion of the Certificate IV) and complete the remaining units to obtain a Diploma. Speak to one of our Course Advisors regards the pathways available to you.
Skills First funding is also available subject to meeting the eligibility criteria and is available for the Certificate IV in Massage (HLT42015), Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT52015) & Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy (22316VIC).
If you’re not eligible for government funding then you could also consider Study Loans who are a private student loan company that provides the funds for approved MIMT courses direct to us on behalf of you. All applications are subject to Study Loans normal credit assessment and loan suitability criteria. Further information can be found by clicking here.
Please contact our Course Advisors who will be able to assist you with the various payment options and eligibility criteria for government funding.
As a result of the health fund reviews and reassessments a set minimum education requirement is the outcome. MIMT is one of a handful of colleges that has signed an assurance confirming that our Diploma of Remedial Massage course meets the required Medibank Private standards.
This means that you can apply for a provider number and it’s imperative you have this assurance when choosing a educational institution to undertake this course.
The prerequisite for the Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy is the Diploma of Remedial Massage.